As you can see, I’ve made the switch from blogger to wordpress. I hope you enjoy the new look and update your blogrolls and bookmarks!
For my first post at the new address, I have a delicious (and healthy!) snack cake to share with you. Why am I calling it a “snack” cake? Well it’s mildly cocoa flavored and not super-sweet so I wouldn’t call it a dessert. In fact, I enjoyed a small piece as a post-workout snack tonight and it didn’t ruin my dinner.
from Whole Foods Market, serves 12
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup oat flour (old fashioned oats ground up in food processor)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 very ripe medium bananas
4 ounces dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa, both flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk thoroughly to eliminate any lumps. Set aside.
- Add bananas, dates, coconut milk, water and vanilla to a blender. Blend until dates are chopped very small and the mixture is thick and smooth, 1 full minute or more.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the banana mixture, and fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle coconut on top. Bake until the top is firm and a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the baking pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, then remove cake from the pan and cool completely. Peel the parchment paper off the cake and cut cake into squares for serving. Wrap any remaining cake tightly and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
I’d love feedback on the new site (I know it’s not that much different, but it’s taken some time to make the switch). Let me know what you think!
I’m off to watch Survivor: Redemption Island… only because I went to high school with one of the contestants, GO ASHLEY!